TO: COA Members
FROM: Ronald Navarro, M.D. President
Pursuant to COA By-Laws, COA is required to hold an annual Business Meeting. The Business Meeting is typically held at the Annual Meeting. At the Business Meeting, COA reports on the Association activities for the previous year, discusses educational efforts on controversial issues, impending legislative/initiative efforts, and elects new COA leaders.
The 2020 Business Meeting will be a virtual meeting.
The Agenda is as follows:
President’s Report – Ronald Navarro, M.D.
Thank you very much for participating in COA’s virtual 2020 Annual Meeting/QME Course.
COA has been involved in some important work this last year:
- Informing our members about the facts regarding the use of “Stem Cells”/Progenitor Cell Treatments for Musculoskeletal Patients. This work culminated in the publishing of this White Paper: White Paper – “Stem Cell”/Progenitor Cell Treatments
- Providing members with recommendations and resources to help them survive COVID-19 – I hope you read this White Paper. It contains a lot of practical and actionable information:
White Paper – Practice Survival for an Orthopaedic Practice During COVID-19. Additional resources can be found in COA’s COVID-19 Resource Center
- Radiation Safety Requirements – COA continues to work to remove the delay in orthopaedic surgeons being able to start practice when they move to California and wait to take the state mandated fluoroscopy certification test. This process can take 6 months or more. We are working to pass legislation that would give surgeons a temporary permit in which they could use fluoroscopy while they wait to be approved to take the test.
- Threat to the Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act (MICRA). Since, 1975, MICRA has consistently and reliably been responsible for keeping California’s medical malpractice premiums at rates significantly lower than any other state in the nation. MICRA is being threatened by a state initiative that will effectively remove any cap on non-economic damages. Currently the cap is $250,000. The good news is that with COVID-19, the proponents of the initiative have been delayed in collecting the necessary number of signatures to qualify for the November, 2020 ballot. The fight is not over, but the initiative will likely be delayed until 2021.
- COA conducted a Member Value Survey to reassess and reaffirm COA’s highest priorities. This review has now been completed and Dr. Slater provides additional details regarding this effort in his Brand Development Committee Report below. COA values your membership and appreciated your response to this survey.
COA Brand Development Committee Report – Robert Slater, Jr., M.D., Chair
COA Financial Report – Russell Nord, M.D., Secretary-Treasurer
- COA remains a strong and viable member association. COA has a Board of Director’s mandate to invest in conservative investments to preserve capital. This has enabled COA to remain financially strong in spite of the recent fluctuating stock market prices.
OPAC Financial Report – Paul Braaton, M.D., Chair
- OPAC has continued to support state legislators who share our values and are open to hearing our concerns when COA is attempting to resolve practice issues that hinder your ability to practice and run your office. We had a more active contribution strategy while maintaining strong reserves.
COA 2020 Nominating Committee Report – Alexandra Page, M.D., Chair
Election of New COA Officers/Confirmation of Elections – COA Board of Directors and AAOS BOC Members
Election of COA 2021 Nominating Committee
- Vote in Election – Go back to your email message for your unique link.
- Voting ends at the close of business on May 18.
- COA’s 2021 Annual Meeting/QME Course
May 20-23,2021 – Monterey Convention Center
Conference Hotel – Portola Hotel and Spa
You can already make your online hotel reservations for the meeting. Click on the link to reserve your room: https://book.passkey.com/gt/217933280?gtid=a2e62ed1e2f72332fc17e7ce9bd4780e
Don’t forget to vote for the new COA leaders.
Just go back to the email to find your unique link for voting.